I grew up eating croutons on my salads -- it's what my family ate, it's what was served to me at restaurants and I just simply thought that it was the key ingredient required to complete a salad. But, a couple of years ago, I discovered a healthy, crunchy swap for croutons: roasted chickpeas.
You see, most croutons are made with enriched white flour - and when it comes to nutrition, we can do better! That's why I like and recommend roasted chickpeas for a simple, healthy salad topper swap! The nutrition facts for chickpeas are pretty impressive. They're full of fiber, plant-based protein (over 8 grams per 1/2 cup!), and minerals like iron and potassium.
In this video, you'll watch how to roast chickpeas, understand which nutrients are in chickpeas, and discover delicious, healthy ways to enjoy roasted chickpeas more often (in salads and beyond!). This roasted chickpeas recipe is easy and quick - oh yeah!
- One 15-ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed, drained and dried
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Add the chickpeas (rinsed, drained, and dried) to a sheet pan.
- Drizzle olive oil overtop the chickpeas and sprinkle with garlic powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt.
- Shake the chickpeas on the sheet pan to thoroughly incorporate the oil and spices.
- Roast for 25-35 minutes at 400 degrees F, shaking the pan (or using a turner) every 10 minutes to prevent the chickpeas from burning.
- Once golden brown, remove the chickpeas from the oven and let cool.
You can store these roasted chickpeas in a glass jar or a reusable bag and rely on them the next time you want a healthy crouton swap for your salad, a crunchy soup topper, or a tasty snack. Just enjoy by the handful...yum!
Will you say "YES" to this fun, fresh food idea? Share your thoughts with me in the comments.
Was this video, blog and recipe helpful? If so, please share it with your family and friends to help them say "YES!" too!