Skip the artificially-flavored and colored candy hearts and lollipops this season...instead, impress your sweetie this February with these healthier-for-you Valentine's Day treats! These sweet snacks are simply decadent - and they are so easy to make, too.
Every year for Valentine's Day, my family creates homemade chocolate covered strawberries. While they are still a favorite sweet option, these other two choices add a fun twist to the Valentine's Day classics we love and adore. They're free of artificial flavors, colors, and sweeteners, naturally gluten-free, and are soooo yummy...that's the best part, after all!
Watch how to make these sweet, simple, and healthy Valentine's Day treats here or get the recipe below to do it yourself:
Here's how you can create this in your own kitchen for single servings. Double or triple the recipe if you're ready to share...that's the spirit of the season anyway, right?
Almond-Pom Dark Chocolate
1 oz of dark chocolate square
1 Tablespoon of smooth almond butter
1-2 tablespoons of pomegranate arils
- Layer the almonds butter overtop your dark chocolate square.
- Sprinkle pomegranate arils overtop.
Toasted Coconut Sprinkled Strawberries
4-5 whole strawberries, cored
1/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt
2-3 Tablespoons of unsweetened coconut shreds, toasted.
- Toast unsweetened coconut shreds in an oven preheated to 350 degrees F for 5-10 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool. Transfer toasted coconut shreds to a medium size bowl.
- Holding the bottom of the strawberry, dip the top of one strawberry into plain Greek yogurt.
- Next, dip the top of the strawberry (now covered in Greek yogurt) into the toasted coconut shreds.
What is your favorite Valentine's Day treat to give or to receive? Let me know in the comments below! Or, tweet me on Twitter @ToriSchmittRDN.